Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Day 9: I Have A Tired

I don't really have a topic in mind today, which is probably why I've procrastinated on this so long. Talk about a literal Eleventh Hour sort of post. Mostly today, I have had a tired. I've been fighting (and largely winning against) a cold, but despite my victory of not getting sick, it's still left me on the sluggish side of energy.

Today I got to spend a good two hours sorting out a whole slew of issues with many calls to customer service numbers. One of them was to this Disney Movie Club thing, and the customer service rep answered the phone with, "hello you're speaking to the fabulous [name], how can I make your day magical?" I had it on speaker at the time, and I just looked at my aunt while I tried to not bust up laughing. It was just so out of the blue. I don't know. It just struck me as funny.

Work was also interesting. I pulled a bit of an authority card on a kid who stepped way out of line, and the whole incident struck me as a defining moment in my job and my life. In my job, because I'm already comfortable enough to take that kind of authority with the kids. Part of that is positional, but part of it was my own personal confidence being much stronger than it ever has been. In my life, I have not really ever thought of myself as that take charge sort of person. I used to get really frustrated because I felt like no one ever listened to me and I knew that I had a lot to say. It took me awhile to sort out that people would listen to me when I acted like I had something worth saying, and when I had the confidence to actually say it. I was a fairly quiet kid. I often forgot that when I wanted to be heard, I actually had to speak out.

I obviously struggle with that so much now...

Also, there was this girl who was in 3rd or 4th grade probably, reading a Judy Blume Fudge book out loud to me for her homework. She got to this one place and stopped, looked at me really panicked and said, "I can't read this word. It's the 's' word." I had a moment of, "what? In a Judy Blume book?" Then she showed it to me and the word was, "stupid," and I had to stop myself from laughing. I just very seriously said, "it's okay you don't have to read it," and then laughed to myself because that was definitely not what I thought of when she said the "s" word.

I'll probably write more about what happened at school tonight when I blog tomorrow morning. It all ties in to a larger thought that I've been compiling in my head, and I decided tonight that I should sleep on it (and also be awake) before I tried to express it in words.



No comments:

Post a Comment